Our CNC Wood Service
Worthy could supply custom wood products for more than 25 year.
With our advanced manufacturing capabilities, we can help you produce virtually any item at any quantity.
What is Wood machining?
Wood machining is an old technique that has been used for centuries. With the transition into Industry 4.0, the role of CNC has greatly infused into wood machining. In the modern era, advanced machining techniques are being incorporated into wood machining. It is used to create diverse products like moldings, and complex wooden patterns for castings and furniture.
Wood is characterized by its behavior and how it interacts with various chemicals at different temperatures. It has a variety of mechanical, chemical, and physical properties.
Some of the key properties of wood are listed below:
- Compression strength
- Tensile strength
- The range of densities for subtropical wood is around 0.3 to 0.9 grams per cubic centimeter, and the range for all woods is approximately 0.2 to 1.2 grams per cubic centimeter.
- The density of wood is also affected by the amount of moisture it contains, which influences its mechanical qualities.
- An international standard known as the Janka test defines the hardness of wood. The Janka test determines how hard a species is by measuring the force required to embed a steel ball into it by half its diameter.
CNC wood routers are primarily used for high-precision machining while saving time and maximizing production. The following are the advantages of CNC wood machining compared to conventional methods:
- By automating the production process, CNC wood machining may boost output and quality.
- It enables companies to minimize the amount of labor required to manufacture a product, resulting in faster turnaround times and fewer mistakes.
- Moreover, CNC machining enables exact control of a product’s size and shape, leading to more accurate and high-quality items.
- Last but not least, CNC wood machining improves efficiency since it reduces time-to-market (TTM) by moving away from manual inspection and rework. TTM is defined as the time it takes to bring a product from conception to market availability.
Apart from many advantages, there are numerous challenges with wood machining and these are as follows:
- Choice of timber grade
- Proper machining of wood
- Right clamping arrangement
- Selection of the right tooling
- Selection of appropriate finishing technique
- Specifically, heat generation in wood machining needs to be accounted for by trained personnel.
What are the wood machining process?(Sawing, milling and drilling, along with deep routing)
Wood Machining Size and Tolerance
Wood machining size and tolerance refer to the level of precision and accuracy with which wood products are cut and shaped using machinery.
- CNC wood machining tolerances generally range from 0.5 to 1mm.
- Its tolerance is influenced by the material being used, the cutting tools’ precision, and the CNC machine’s correct configuration.
- The high precision of CNC machines makes it possible to maintain very tight tolerances while producing wooden components, providing excellent repeatability and accuracy.
- The achievable tolerance values in wood machining are highlighted in the following table:
|Tolerance Type||Maximum allowable tolerance||Minimum allowable tolerance|
|Angular tolerance||1 degree||0 50′ degrees|
Wood Machining Work and Process
We use state-of-the-art CNC machines to achieve high levels of accuracy and consistency. This allows us to produce complex shapes and intricate designs with ease.
- A CNC wood router is an advanced machining setup used to machine the parts from a wooden block by maintaining high accuracy and precision
- CNC wood router works the same as conventional CNC machines. It is controlled by digital coding systems and comes in 3 to 5 axes configurations.
- Programming of these machines can be done by using different advanced CAM software.
- CAD file for the wood part is analyzed by a team of proficient engineers to highlight various path tooling strategies.
- After converting the CAD file to a CNC program via CAM software package, the configuration of the CNC machine is done by proficient technicians.
- Execution of the machining operation takes place during which it is vital to adjust and analyze the parameters between CAM coded machining and real-time scenario.
- More reliance on the experience is necessary since CAM software can have a limited scope for very complex parts.
- Milling is a cutting process that uses a revolving cutting tool to remove material from a workpiece.
- With one-of-a-kind milling inserts, you may produce both functional and aesthetic results.
- Milling tools are used in the woodworking industry in furniture making, interior design, and window construction.
- CNC milling in 4 axis configuration is widely used in the pattern tooling industry for large parts.
- The bed sizes for CNC milling are generally ideal for low cost yet precise machining of large pattern for castings industries.
- A hand-held device used to drive heavy metal staples into wood, plastic, or manufactured items is called a staple gun or controlled stapler.
- Staple firearms are used for various applications and to join diverse materials, such as house wrap, wiring, covering the upholstery, and decorative items.
- Several milling operations in woodworking are ornamental in design.
- Profile milling is a standard milling process in the furniture manufacturing industry.
- Profile milling cutters can be used to add curves, grooves, keys, and other decorative characteristics to a wooden object.
- CNC wood lathe machines use different tools to form and turn circular parts.
- It normally comprises a table that is fixed and an arm that is coupled to a spinning cutting head. The cutting head and arm are then rotated rapidly by a motor attached to the arm.
- Wood lathes are perfect for turning symmetrical, complex designs like cords or bowls.
- A type of CNC wood machining equipment called a wood router is used to cut and shape wood components precisely.
- Routers frequently have spinning bits that may be adjusted to produce the desired shape or cut.
- A unifying factor of routers has replaceable bases, which enable users to access confined locations and cut to various depths.
- They are, therefore, perfect for carving challenging patterns or grooves into the wood.
CNC wood grinders
- The purpose of CNC wood grinders is to shape and hone wood components using sophisticated CNC wood machining technology.
- They generally include a motor-driven revolving grinding wheel that enables them to shape and clean wood components precisely.
- Some wood grinders have dust collecting mechanisms to keep the workspace clean.
Wood Machining Materials
Worthy works with a variety of materials, including hardwood,softwood and engineer woods, to provide customized solutions for your unique application.If you do not see the material finish combination you are looking for, please fill the quote sheet, and our experts will help you.
Distribution: North America and Europe, Southeast Asia
Charateristics: 1. Good dimensional stability 2. High strength
Pros: Walnut is a very strong and stable wood; The color is beautiful.
Cons: inconsistent color, expensive cost
Distribution: North America and Europe
Charateristics: 1. Hard material 2. Impact resistance 3. Durable
Pros: Beech is hard, tough and strong
Cons: It is not suitable for permanent outdoor use
Application: Furniture, Shipbuilding, Construction, Bridges
Distribution: White Oak: North America and Europe, Asia
Red Oak: North America and Europe
Charateristics: 1. High strength 2. Durable 3. Straight Texture
Pros: Oak is very durable with distinctive look
Cons: Oak is not heat resistant and also costly
Application: Furniture, Door, Floor
Distribution: North America
Charateristics: 1. Moderately hard wood 2. Dense wood 3. Beautiful pattern
Pros: Maple is affordable and ultra-durable
Cons: If maple is not properly sealed first, the staining can look blotchy
Distribution: USA, Europe and Japan
Charateristics: Strong and fine-grained surface
Pros: It’s easily shaped, and it polishes well. Unstained, it has a rich, beautiful color
Cons: If maple is not properly sealed first, the staining can look blotchy
Distribution: Central America and Africa
Charateristics: Hard texture, little shrinkage, very beautiful wood grain
Pros: Mahogany is Extremely Durable and water-resistant.
Cons: It is very difficult to find the same color for the project.
Application: High-grade furniture, automobiles, boats, violins, pianos
Charateristics: Medium-weight , good strength
Pros: Easy to work,Prices vary and Very useful.
Cons: Birch is not durable
Application: Flooring, furniture, pulp, interior decoration materials, vehicle and boat equipment, plywood
Distribution: North America and Europe
Charateristics: Hard material, good flexibility and straight texture
Pros: Good apperance, easy to process, cheap and minimal maintenance
Cons: Poor Wear Resistance:Poor Stability and not Durability
Application: Sports equipment,Furniture
Charateristics: Moderate material, good toughness, strong stability, not easy to deformation and cracking
Pros: Tough wood, high mechanical strength, strong corrosion resistance and easy to work.
Cons: Easy to deformation, love to grow insects, shrinkage serious
Application: Furniture, Construction
Distribution: India, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam
Charateristics: Rosewood wood is lustrous; fine and uniform structure, site to slightly interlaced grain
Pros: Excellent wear resistance, and, inexpensive
Cons: Rosewood is prone to insect infestation
Distribution: India, Malay Archipelago, Myanmar
Charateristics: Teak wood is firm and durable, with excellent texture
Pros: Teak has a fine and beautiful grain, Least expansion and contraction among the woods.
Cons: Due to the great demand for teak, the teak on the market is uneven and difficult to distinguish the real from the fake
Application: Furniture, Floor
Charateristics: Pine is yellowish in color, with many boils and clear and beautiful grain
Pros: Pine is yellowish in color, with many boils and clear and beautiful grain
Cons: Susceptible to scratches and dents;can be easily damaged
Distribution: North America, Europe and Africa
Charateristics: Spruce has a very soft, medium-weight wood type.
Pros: Spruce has perfect grain lines, and the color is evenly distributed, with a tough but light texture
Cons: Spruce wood is not suitable to be used in a high temperature environment
Application: Paper, construction
Charateristics: Redwood is lustrous; the grain is oblique and interlaced, the structure is fine and uniform, and it is resistant to decay
Pros: Durable; Easy to work; Beautiful and attractive grain
Cons: Soft and expensive
Distribution: Asia and Africa
Charateristics: Cedarwood is light, soft, resinous, and durable wood.
Pros: Durability, light in weight and Uniformly textured, straight-grained and containing no resin
Cons: More easily scratched or dented by furniture and pet claws.
Application: Furniture, flooring
Engineered Woods Type
Charateristics: The Texture is very uniform, and ranges from medium to fine depending on density
Pros: water-resistant and durable for flooring
Cons: Easily get scratches and susceptible to deterioration
Application: Building, Flooring
Distribution: The whole world
Charateristics: 1.Easy to cut 2.Moderate density
Pros: Cheaper price,have no knots and has excellent machining character for its suitable density.
Cons: Weaker than wood,can cause irritation to the lungs and eyes
Application: Furniture, Flooring, Speaker boxes
Distribution: The whole world
Charateristics: Plywood is a type of manufactured wood panel made from thin sheets of wood veneer
Pros: Plywood are smooth and quite attractive, with plenty of grain, yet none of the knotholes that can mar solid wood
Cons: Not durable like wood,Urea and phenol formaldehyde used for gluing cause cancer.
Application: Construction and Furniture
Wood Machining Finish
We all know that wood is a porous material that easily absorbs moisture, dirt and grease. The finish of wood can not only prevent swelling and cracking, prolong its service life, it can also help improve the aesthetic appeal of the wood.Usually, there are two primary types of wood finish:surface finish and penetrating.
Description: Lacquer is mainly used to have a protective smooth coating on wood. It is fast drying.
Color: Matt,Glossy,could do colors,such as black,red,grey.
Pros: A very quick-drying wood finish, due to the hard-coating, it could protect the surface from scratches.
Cons: It will turns to yellowish in the long time using.
Application: Furniture, wooden sculptures, and guitars
Description: Varnish is a transparent finish consisting of solvents, resins and oils used on wood finish.Traditional varnishes are based on natural resins and oils and are thinned with mineral spirits or turpentine.
Color: Glossy and high-glossy, can not do any color ,it is transparent.
Pros: It gives aesthetic beauty to the parts.It could protect wood surfaces from the weather.
Cons: Low abrasion resistance;
Application: Furniture, floors, doors and windows
Description: Wood painting is a kind of resin paint,which involves applying a protective coating over wood to keep the damaging elements away.
Color: Many kinds color could be made,such as black,red,green,blue,yellow.ect
Pros: Easy to maintance, and have a wide range of color for choosing.
Cons: Paint will be peeled when the parts exposed to sun
Description: Polyurethane finish is a synthetic coating that are highly durable and water resistant and provide a durable finish for wood.
Color: Glossy, semi-gloss, satin and matte
Pros: Easy to mantance and clean.
Cons: Not suitable used for outdoors because it will turn yellow or crack in the sun.
Application: Cabinets, doors, furniture and floors
Description: Nitro finish could create a hard, durable, strong glossy finish on the surface of the wood after drying.
Color: Glossy, semi-matte and matte
Pros: Wear-resistant, has good mechanical properties, and is easy to polish;quick drying.
Cons: Nitro paint is flammable;contains irritating odor
Description: Water-based finishes dry quickly and can be used on bare wood, stained or painted wood. It provides a clear, natural sheen that will not yellow with use over time
Color: Natural sheen
Pros: It could provide adequate protection;High environmental friendliness
Cons: Abrasion resistance is not well, not suitable for desktop and writing surface
Application: Carbinet and doors.
Description: Oil-based finishes dry more slowly and have a stronger aroma than water-based finishes
Color: Wide range of color
Pros: Good anti-rust and anti-corrosion effect;a variety of color and good glossiness
Cons: Easy to bubble, irritating odor, harmful substances are more difficult to evaporate
Description: Shellac finishes are a traditional treatment that is not used much today. It is a natural product made from the resinous secretion of the female lac insect mixed with a solvent (alcohol)
Pros: Adds a protective layer to wood surfaces while imparting a warm amber glow to wood.
Cons: Shellac may dissolve or decompose over time.
Application: Good for floors, antiques, or hard finishes on fine furniture
Description: Furniture wax is usually made from beeswax and has a smooth finish.
Pros: It has many functions such as waterproof, anti-oxidation and anti-ultraviolet
Cons: It is not suitable for outdoor used.
Application: Cabinets, refrigerators, pianos, furniture, floors
Description: Sanding surface process could make the wood parts with smooth surface.The tools employed are sandpaper and sanders.
Color: No color, but could make the smooth surface
Pros: Cheaper compared with other surface finish;Chemical-free
Cons: Takes a lot of time and patience
Application: All the parts needed to do the sanding finish.
Description: Tung oil is one of the most common penetrating finishes which is often used as a drying oil and mixed with other varnishes and oils.
Pros: Dries quickly, has light specific gravity, good gloss and strong adhesion
Cons: The price is expensive.
Application：Construction, machinery, weapons, vehicles and boats, fishing gear, electrical appliances
Description: Linseed oil is made from flaxseed, dries slowly and has good preservative and water resistance.
Pros: Enhances organic wood grain;Non-toxic and food safe;Oil penetrates very deeply
Cons: Surfaces are more susceptibe wear damage
Description: Danish oil is kind of penetrating finish that combines wood oil and varnish, characterized by strong penetration, extremely fast drying and stable nature.
Color: Gloosy to matte
Pros: Easy to apply and moderately durable
Cons: Not wear-resistant
Application: Wooden utensils
Description:Teak oil is usually a mixture of linseed oil, varnish and mineral oil and is commonly used as a finish for outdoor furniture
Pros: Provide UV protection;easy to apply
Cons: Not waterproofing;Need regular maintenance
Design Tips and Guides
To get the most outstanding results throughout the production process, there are several fundamental standards and procedures to follow when creating a design for any product, whether it is a machined part or an acceptable package for a woodworking project. The quality of your finished product depends on the design.
Some of the crucial design guidelines and tips for wood machining are given as follows:
- The best way to design your part is to make it feasible for manufacturing through the desired operations. There is a need to strike a balance between bulk material removal machining operations and intricate machining. This is known as Design for Manufacturability. It is about using the tool with the greatest diameter where possible to remove material quickly.
- Use special tools to address the heating issue in the wooden parts during manufacturing.
- When designing inner edges or corners, you must apply maximum cavity depth restrictions.
- Chamfers on edges must be utilized to reduce the risk of injury when handling sharp objects.
- The internal fillets must be greater than one-third of the cavity depth.
- Avoid adding small features or undercuts in your design to save machining cost.
Wood Machining FAQ
Surface treatment is very important for wood products, not only can play a role in protecting the surface damage and prolonging the use of wood products, but more importantly, it can make the wood products look perfectly colored and high-grade.
There are 2 kinds of surface treatment for wood products: penetrating and surface finish.
Penetrating wood finishes offer a more natural look as they enter deep into the surface of the wood.
Surface finishes are applied on the top of the wood to create a protective layer.
You could choose different wood finish according to the use of the product. For example, piano paint, whose primer is PE and topcoat is also PE, this kind of finish looks very high-grade, it can prevent scratching.. The price of piano paint is very expensive compared to ordinary finish.
So the price of the finish for wood products varies a lot depending on the use of the product and the quality sought. It is vital that you choose the right surface for your product.
Oak is a light yellow wood with a soft and straight grain. The surface of the produced wood crafts has a certain silvery color pattern, is dense and heavy in quality, and has relatively little dry shrinkage. It is resistant to moisture, decay and wear. Oak is best suited for making wooden furniture and wooden wine barrels.
There are many tools used in wood machining, including saws, planes, milling machines, routers, drills, sanders, and more.
Most types of wood can be machined, but some woods are more difficult to work with than others. Hardwoods, such as oak and maple, are generally more difficult to machine than softwoods, such as pine and spruce.
To prevent splintering when machining wood, make sure to use sharp tools and cutters. You can also use a backing board or sacrificial piece of wood to support the workpiece during machining.
To finish a machined wood part, you can sand it to smooth out any rough spots or imperfections. Then, you can apply a finish, such as paint, stain, or varnish, to protect the wood and enhance its appearance.
Common mistakes in wood machining include using dull tools, applying too much pressure when cutting, ignoring the direction of the wood grain, and failing to allow for tolerances.
Yes, reclaimed or recycled wood can be machined. However, it may be more difficult to work with than fresh, new wood, and may require specialized tools or techniques.
Wood machining can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. Always wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and ear protection, and follow all safety guidelines and instructions for the specific tools and machinery being used.
The prices for these two woods are also cheap,then it is hard to say which one is better.
Beech wood can grow up to more than 30 meters tall, and the texture is relatively fine, and beautiful, not easy to deformation, but also has a very strong corrosion resistance.
Pine also has a very good corrosion resistance. The density is relatively large, the texture is straight and beautiful, there is a certain luster, the material is relatively soft compared to beech, so it can be very good resistance to stamping, but also has a certain resistance to bending and wear resistance.
Both of them are suitable to make wood crafts,suc as wooded boxes,furniture.
Wood wax oil and varnish are both commonly used to finish and protect wood, but they have some key differences in terms of their composition, appearance, and application.
- Composition: Wood wax oil is typically made from a blend of natural oils and waxes, while varnish is typically made from synthetic resins and solvents. This difference in composition can affect the way the finish looks and behaves.
- Appearance: Wood wax oil provides a more natural, matte finish that enhances the natural grain and texture of the wood, while varnish provides a more glossy, uniform finish that can hide some of the natural characteristics of the wood.
- Durability: Varnish is generally more durable and resistant to wear and tear than wood wax oil, which can wear off or require more frequent reapplication.
- Application: Wood wax oil is typically applied with a cloth or brush and can be reapplied as needed to maintain the finish. Varnish is typically applied with a brush and requires multiple coats to build up a durable finish.
- Maintenance: Wood wax oil is easier to maintain, as it can be reapplied as needed without having to strip the existing finish. Varnish, on the other hand, typically requires sanding and stripping to remove the existing finish before a new coat can be applied.
Overall, the choice between wood wax oil and varnish depends on the desired appearance, durability, and maintenance requirements for the specific wood project. Wood wax oil is ideal for those who prefer a more natural, matte finish and do not require a high level of durability, while varnish is ideal for those who require a glossy, durable finish that can withstand wear and tear.
Carbonization is the surface or deep heat treatment of the wood to control the moisture to a minimal degree. After carbonization, the wood texture is more prominent and beautiful, which can highlight a sense of luxury. Also,the whole wood will emit a kind of original wood fragrance, has good heat insulation, and does not have any special smell.
Carbonized wood is healthier, more environmentally friendly and more pollution-free.
Wooden crafts made of carbonized wood have very good corrosion resistance
For the milling work,the biggest length is 2000mm, and the thickness is 50mm.
For the turning jobs, the biggest diameter is 350mm, and the length is 450mm.
For the turning jobs, the smallest diameter is 2mm.
We supply one-stop service for our customers, in most of the conditions, there will be electronics spare parts will be assembled to the wood parts,also there will be the customized packing.
Varnish and lacquer are both common finishes used to protect and enhance the appearance of wood, but they have some key differences in terms of their composition, application, and properties.
Composition: Varnish is typically made from natural or synthetic resins, such as polyurethane, mixed with solvents and drying oils. Lacquer is typically made from nitrocellulose or acrylic resins mixed with solvents.
Appearance: Varnish provides a more durable and glossy finish that can enhance the natural grain and color of the wood, while lacquer provides a more clear, uniform finish that can hide some of the natural characteristics of the wood.
Durability: Varnish is generally more durable and resistant to wear and tear than lacquer, which can be prone to chipping, cracking, or yellowing over time.
Application: Varnish is typically applied with a brush or roller and requires multiple coats to build up a durable finish. Lacquer is typically sprayed onto the wood surface in thin, even coats.
Drying time: Varnish typically takes longer to dry and requires longer curing times, while lacquer dries faster and can be ready for additional coats or handling within a shorter time frame.
Reapplication: Varnish can be sanded and reapplied as needed to maintain or repair the finish, while lacquer typically requires stripping and reapplication to repair or refinish the wood surface.
Overall, the choice between varnish and lacquer depends on the desired appearance, durability, and application requirements for the specific wood project. Varnish is ideal for those who require a glossy, durable finish that can withstand wear and tear, while lacquer is ideal for those who require a clear, fast-drying finish that can be applied in thin, even coats.
Over the 20 decades,Worthy offers a versatile range of custom wood parts & components. Whether you manufacture toys, boxes,carbinet or other customized wood parts, we have the production capabilities to help you go to market
Advantage 1: Comprehensive Capabilities
For the turing works, our max diameter is 350mm,and with 450mm in length.
We also supply the one stop surface, such as assembly,packaging and warehouse saving service.
Advantage 2 : Rich market experience
Advantage 3: Multiple materials
Hardwood: walnut,beech,oak,maple,cherry,mahogany,birch,ash,popla,rosewood and teak
Softwood: pine,fir,spruce, redwood,cedar
Engineering wood: Bamboo,MDF,Plywood
Advantage 4: A wide range of finish
Lacquer -Varnish Paint- Polyurethane -Nitro paint- Water-Based Finish -Oil-Based Finsh- Shellac finish- Furniture wax- Sanding finish -Tung Oil Linseed Oil- Danish Oil -Teak oil and dying
Advantage 5: Strict quality
In the production stage including the samples, the production workers check the dimensions frequently, and then the production manager will check the dimension again, finally our QC department will make the final checking.
In the packing stage,we make the 100% inspection for the parts.
CNC Wood Application
Wood parts can be customized to meet specific design and performance requirements, making them a versatile and widely used material in many different applications.here are some common applications of wood parts in various industries:
In the past 25 years, our clients are all over the world, including the world’s top 500 companies such as Jabil, ABB, Medtronic and so on. Do you want to know what our customers say about us? Let’s take a look.
Justin, CEO of a lighting company
With most factories, I have a moment of fear before I open their boxes. Will the components be made correctly? Do they care about quality? It is often a war. And Dennis has to fight the war, treating most factories like small children!
But, not your company. You’re company is world-class. You make beautiful components! Thank you very much for your hard work. We will work together for many lifetimes!
David, General manager for a family owned business
CNC Machining Wood Projects